Saturday, March 7, 2009

Alternative Transportation Fair

Fairs have been a common occurrence on the DePaul campus which has given me the ability not to stray away from my beat that I was given at the beginning of the quarter.  On March 6th in the student center of DePaul’s Lincoln Park campus there was an Alternative Energy Fair which was held from 12:00-3:00 p.m. There were many representatives from different facets of transportation systems that are trying to bring “green” values to transportation.  I walked up to the main information booth they told me that you can fill out a small survey and make your way around to each of the booths.  After you have made your way a round the booths they would give you a Luna bar, bike lights, and other prizes.   

 

One of the booths was for the CTA which is probably the most familiar mode of alternative transportation to people in Chicago and especially students at DePaul.  Another station was represented by I-GO Cars which allows people to use and share hybrid cars with others only when they need them which eliminates the need to buy or lease a vehicle.  I left the fair and I was handed my Luna bar and a list of tips of ways to make the world “greener.”  This fair was much better than getting hounded by people working for organizations trying to talk to you on the street asking to help save panda bears from extinction.  This fair was relevant to our times and especially to the Chicago land area.        

1 comment:

  1. I'm happy to see the university really step up its "green" efforts this year. After all, part of being ethical students should include being environmentally ethical!

    ReplyDelete