Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Popular East Coast Burger Joint "Five Guys" Comes to Lincoln Park

The other day a few of my friends and I were having a discussion about the best burgers in America: my favorite comes from Jake Moran's in Mundelein, one of my friends thought west coast chain In 'N Out was tops, another made a case for Chicago landmark Billy Goat Tavern (albeit in jest). The fourth member of our debate, however, chose chain with which none of us were familiar: Five Guys Burgers & Fries. Conveniently enough, this reputable Virginia-based chain recently made their way to Chicago. So off we went to check it out.

Five Guys' storefront is decorated in a retro red-and-white-checkered motif, and the walls are adorned with newpaper and magazine clippings singing their praises... so obviously, I had pretty high hopes.

The menu at Five Guys is pretty straightforward: you can get hamburgers, cheeseburgers, and not much else: the real appeal here is that all the toppings are free. They have traditional toppings like lettuce, tomato, and mayo, as well as more interesting options like grilled mushrooms or A-1 steak sauce. Another item of note is that their fries are incredibly fresh, and there was even a dry-erase board indicating which small Idaho town provided the day's potatoes. You can expect to wait for about ten minutes for your food, but there are complimentary in-the-shell peanuts to munch on while you wait.


Upon biting my burger, I was somewhat underwhelmed. The toppings were fresh, but the burger itself seemed to be a little lacking in flavor. The fries, on the other hand, were fantastic. I order mine "cajun style", and the seasoning added to the fries gave them a pleasant, spicy flavor.

Overall, I suppose I would recommend Five Guys. You should expect to pay about $10 for a burger and fries, so budget-conscious students may want to steer clear. Five Guys is located at on Clybourn Avenue between Webster and Armitage, so it's just barely within walking of the Lincoln Park campus.


View Larger Map

3 comments:

  1. this place is great! I went to one in South Bend before, but that's so cool there is one here now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice pictures! they are making me hungry!!! I'll have to check that place out.

    ReplyDelete