Friday, February 27, 2009

Multimedia Profile: Kassandra Hendrixson

For my multimedia project, I followed DePaul sophomore Kassandra Hendrixson. On top of a full load of Communications classes, Kassandra nannies full-time to pay for her tuition. "It can be pretty stressful sometimes", she says, "and I feel like I don't have as much time for myself, but I guess that's just part of being an adult".


"I get up every morning at 9 and head to class in Lincoln Park", Kassandra tells me. During the brief ride from her Lakeview apartment to campus on the Halsted bus, Kassandra typically reads the Red Eye or listens to her iPod.


During her mid-morning break between classes, Kassandra will often grab coffee with a friend or get a snack. Not today though: "I guess I forgot about my philosophy quiz, so I need to study". This probably looks like one of those staged "just open the book and pretend to study pictures". I assure you, it is not!


Finally, Kassandra has earned a break. Between philosophy class and her job, Kassandra gets Jambalaya at Yats Cajun Creole. As she enjoys her meal, she texts her friends.


Every week, Kassandra takes young Pierce to swimming lessons at the Ray Meyer Fitness Center at DePaul. "Swimming lessons are a nice change of pace... he's not a very well-behaved child..." Kassie says, laughing.


After a long day of classes and work, Kassandra is finally home. "Sometimes it's tough being me, but it's not that bad. I'm getting an education, and I make pretty decent money".

No comments:

Post a Comment