Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Oh happy day!


I just wanted to wish everyone a happy inauguration day. I hate to admit how ecstatic I was about the gas leak on Jackson this morning... but it meant that I didn't have to go to my first two classes! Now I get to watch the inaugural coverage from home with my roommates, and I couldn't be happier.

Even if the 44th president-elect wasn't your personal choice, I hope you can be consoled by living through a historical moment. It's exciting to be a DePaul student in Chicago while a Chicagoan is taking the most powerful office in the nation. I guarantee this will be a day that we will talk to youths about as we age.

"There is not a Black America and a White America and a Latino America and an Asian America; there's the United States of America." - Barack Obama


No matter how many things are going wrong in our own country and the world at large, I'm taking the day off from pessimism and celebrating a small victory that our generation helped bring to fruition.

*Edit: I also wanted to note that I got the picture above from The New York Times' Facebook page. There is a TON of activity on that page with people posting their thoughts about the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment